Here are some notes from Chapter 3 of Public Relations: Strategies & Tactics (9th Edition):
- The largest professional Public Relations organizations are The Public Relations Society of America, The International Association of Business Communicators, and The International Public Relations Association.
- The three “basic value orientations” of ethics are (1) absolute, (2) existential, and (3) situational.
- “Most national [P.R.] organizations place heavy emphasis on educating their members about professional standards rather than having a highly structured grievance process in place.”
- A public relations professional should have (1) a feeling of independence, (2) a feeling of responsibility to their audience, (3) show concern for the profession of public relations, and (4) “have a higher loyalty to the standards of the profession and fellow professionals than to the employer of the moment.”
- In order to set the bar higher for professionalism in public relations, accreditation programs have been put in place. It is essentially a process that they must go through in order to become certified by a national organization as a public relations practitioner.