Here are some of my tips and hints for writing an effective news release that I acquired from Public Relations: Strategies & Tactics (9th Edition) and Green Media Toolshed :
- Make sure that your release is newsworthy .
- Don’t release all of your information in one news release, if your story is “lengthy” you can separate it into multiple releases.
- Avoid ineffective quotes.
- Use “creative” vocabulary that will hold an editor’s attention (make sure that your release is still factual).
- Use short headlines that give the main point of your release, not a “repeat of the information in the lead-in paragraph.”
- Don’t use metaphors, unless you think they’ll help to get the story across to the reader.
- Make it obvious how your release holds relevance to your editor’s audience.
- Write “short, punchy, and easy-to-understand,” sentences.
- Don’t ask questions in your lead.
- Don’t repeat information.