Last week in my Public Relations Applications class, we participated in an exercise to learn about business etiquette in countries that we had never been to. My partner and I researched England, here are a few tips for conducting business there:
- Avoid wearing striped ties, most British regimental ties are striped and you may look like you are trying to imitate them.
- Shake hands with whoever you’re conducting business with, unless it’s a woman. If so, wait for her to initiate the hand-shake.
- Do not give gifts at your business meetings, they are not a part of business in England.
- Respect personal space and don’t ask personal questions.
- Do not rush the business man or woman you meet with to come to a decision on whatever subject you have discussed, the process is much slower in England than in the United States.
Hope you found these tips helpful!